A critical step of acquisition planning is defining the who, what, where, when, and why aspects of the requirement to the Contracting Officer. As the end user for the request, you must be able to:
• Identify the purchase's mission.
• Describe the request's relevant history.
• Detail the desired scope and requirements, including descriptions, specifications, and other technical information.
• Detail the requirement history if applicable.
• Provide criteria for proper evaluation and selection of vendor.
Requirements for Supplies or Services should be stated in terms of:
• Functions to be performed.
• Performances required.
• Essential characteristics.
As a customer you must conduct enough market research to understand and define the requirement. In addition, become familiar with important performance parameters of your requirement.
Be as thorough as possible to avoid having your purchase request returned for lack of information, or other oversights that could result in unnecessary delays.