Step 1

Identify your product or service It is helpful to know your Federal Supply Classification (FSC) code.

Many government product/service listings and future procurements are broken down by FSC or North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code.

Step 2

Obtain a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number

Call the government dedicated, DUNS number self-request line at 866-705-5711 or complete your request from the Dun & Bradstreet website.


Step 3

Register in the System for Award Management (SAM)

In order to do business with the Marine Corps, you must first be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM).


Step 4

Obtain a Contractor and Government Entity (CAGE) Code

Upon registration in the SAM, your company will be assigned a CAGE Code. Once your registration is active you may view your CAGE Code on the web by searching the active registrations at


Step 5

Obtain a North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Standards Code

NAICS codes classify the type of products or services your firm is capable of offering.


Step 6

Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity.,,id=102767,00.html


Step 7

Register in Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA)

ORCA is an e-Government initiative that was designed by to replace the paper based Representations and Certifications (Reps and Certs) process. You must be registered in ORCA if the solicitation you are responding to requires that you have an active registration in SAM.  SAM and ORCA are complementary systems.

ORCA reuses data pulled from SAM and pre-populates many of the required Representations and Certifications. Then, the vendor completes the remaining Reps and Certs with the understanding that with each solicitation they are certifying to current, accurate and complete information.


Step 8

Register in Wide Area Work Flow (WAWF)

Wide Area Workflow (WAWF) is a secure Web-based system for electronic invoicing, receipt and acceptance of goods and services for DoD.  While registration in WAWF is not required prior to award of a contract, a contract award includes the condition that the vendor will register and utilize WAWF for invoicing, receipt and acceptance.


Step 9

Familiarize yourself with Federal, DoD, Navy and Marine Corps contracting procedures Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)

Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS)

Navy Marine Corps Acquisition Regulation Supplement (NMCARS)


Marine Corps Acquisition Supplement (MAPS)


Step 10

Identify the Marine Corps contracting activity that purchases your product or service.

A list of Small Business Specialists can be found at


Step 11

Identify current and future procurement opportunities.

Federal Business Opportunities The Navy Electronic Commerce Online (NECO)



Step 12

Consider a Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) contract.

Contact the General Services Administration (GSA) for information on how to obtain a FSS contract.


Step 13

Review Small Business programs.

Small Business Administration DoD Office of Small Business Programs

DoN Office of Small Business Programs


Step 14

Explore subcontracting opportunities.

The publication Subcontracting Opportunities DoD Prime Contractors pdf's explain the program and lists all major DoD prime contractors by state and provides a point of contact (Small Business Liaison Officer) within each firm.


Step 15

Seek additional assistance as needed.

Small Business Administration Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACs)

Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE)


Step 16

Respond to inquiries from Field Contracting Offices.

Once you are registered in the applicable systems, a Contracting Officer might contact you to obtain information. This is called "Market Research", which is outlined in procurement regulations. The information gained during that pre-solicitation communication is invaluable to the Contracting Officer in determining the proper path of a particular procurement. However, do not assume that because your company is contacted during "Market Research" that your company will be awarded a contract.

: If someone representing the Marine Corps calls your company and requests delivery of a product or requests some effort expended toward a service, ASK the person on the phone whether they are a warranted Contracting Officer! Do not assume that the person has the authority to bind the government. A warranted Contracting Officer acting within the scope of his/her authority will be able to provide you a valid contract/purchase order number. If you do not receive such a number, the person on the other end of the phone may be committing an "unauthorized commitment" and there is the possibility you will not be paid for your items/service! A short tutorial developed for government personnel that provides information regarding unauthorized commitments can be found at

Marine Corps Installations West